How to cook Traditional dish “Oden”
“Oden” is a traditional Japanese cuisine that has been introduced since the Edo period, with seasoned “Katsuobushi”, which is dried, fermented, and smoked tuna, and “kelp stock” in a large pot container and cooked ingredients there.
I will introduce easy recipe that makes easy to reproduce the taste of such traditional food with the material in the supermarket!
Japanese-style soup stocks
Water (About 1,000cc)
Base of the soup “Hondashi”, which is an instant bouillon (1 full tablespoons)
Soy sauce (2 full tablespoons)
Sake (Japanese beer) (2 full tablespoon)
Mirin, which is a type of sake with low alcohol and high sugar content (1 full tablespoons)
Salt (A little)
Egg (keep hot water in advance and keep it in boiled egg)
Konnyaku, radish, Chikuwa, fried fried, other favorite ingredients (each: desired amount)
The way to make oden is actually simple. Once the soup is ready, you will only need to put ingredients. Soup is the important part of Oden, so let’s cook the delicious soup.
- Before prepare soup, boil the egg beforehand and make a boiled egg.
- Put water (1,000cc) in the pot and put the soup stocks in order. At this time, you should check the seasoning of the stock and finally adjust salt to your taste.
- Once you have your favorite soup, put the ingredients and cook until the color of the ingredients changes to complete.
As you can see, it’s amazingly simple. In the food culture of Japan, “Oden” was the first to sell stalls outdoors in the cold winter. In the food culture of Japan, “Oden” was the first to sell at a street stall in the cold winter and it became popular because many people dropped in for seeking warmth and enjoyed as a representative meal of the cold winter.
How to cook “Takikomi gohan”
If you have eaten rice which is the main food in Japan, I would like you to know “Takikomi gohan”, which is rice seasoned with soy sauce and boiled with other ingredients. This is a little different from fried rice; it will be a dish to taste in the stage of cooking rice.
It is a menu that often appears in Japanese homes because it has the privilege of enjoying rice and ingredients at the same time by tasting the rice itself, and delicious even if it are cold.
(1 serving: about 150 grams of rice)
Soy sauce (2 teaspoons)
Sake (Japanese beer) (2 teaspoons)
Mirin, which is a type of sake with low alcohol and high sugar content (2 teaspoons)
Sugar (1/2 teaspoons)
Salt (A little)
Base of the soup “Hondashi”, which is an instant bouillon
Chicken, Abura-age (deep-fried bean curd), carrots, Shimeji, which is a Japanese mushroom (A little by little) *Depends on your preference
1.Put about 150 grams of rice into a pot or a rice cooker and add soup ingredients. It is good to put the salt in the end and put rice in the degree of your choice while checking the taste.
* 150 gram of rice = about 200cc of water.
- Finely cut chickens and Abura-age (deep-fried bean curd), shred carrots, cut Shimeji (Japanese mushroom) into easy-to-eat sizes and put into a pot or a rice cooker.
- After cooked in, mix and complete it.
It is very easy because all processes are over at the stage of cooking rice. Also, there are various ways to eat Takikomi gohan and ingredients to be added are different depending on the region. Therefore, we often use seasonal ingredients in the “fall of harvest” such as “mushrooms” etc. are common ingredients in the fall.
How to cook ”Japanese omelet”
“Japanese omlete” is neither fried nor scrambled egg. When the Japanese cuisine “Sushi” flourished during the Edo period, it started as a shoulder line up in the same seat as sushi as a proof of professional Sushi creator.
Its shape is a rectangular shape reminiscent of the original “Sushi”. For cooking, it is common to use a rectangular “frying pan for ”Japanese omlete.
2- 3 Eggs
Sugar (1 teaspoon)
Salt (1/2 teaspoons)
*If you put “Hondashi” as you like, it will become “Japanese-style wrapped egg”
- Fry the oil firmly in a frying pan for Tamagoyaki and heat it until it smokes a little.
- Mix eggs an*If you put “Hondashi” as you like, it will become “Japanese-style wrapped egg”
d pour half of them in the frying pan. (Spread evenly in the frying pan)
- If the fire goes through, folds the egg toward one side and flip it over with a size of 1/3. (Use spatula if it is difficult to fold and flip over)
- When it becomes 1/3, pour the remaining eggs and repeat the same work to complete.
- Cut the eggs that are easy to eat with a kitchen knife while paying attention to not to collapse the egg.
Since it is difficult to turn over the egg, you may not be able to do it well until you get used to it.
The trick is “to firmly fry the oil”, “to mix a little water into the melted eggs” , “to not overheat” and “to return speedily”.
Also, after being cooked, you can use Makisu, which is a mat made by bamboo (You can also use cooking wrap instead) to adjust the shape. Some crumbling can be repaired by doing that. Tamagoyaki is a traditional Japanese food that is always present at Japanese restaurants and it is familiar to Japanese people that this food is important to make neatly.